By Jennifer Hartmann, VP of People & Culture
Last summer MyVest embarked on another ambitious Summer of Giving program. Our program began in 2020 to drive COVID-19 relief volunteerism. Following the murder of George Floyd, we expanded the scope to include combating racial injustice and inequality. For 2021, our program included twelve categories of service ranging from mental health to education to supporting veterans.
MyVest highlighted 2–3 organizations in each category every week. MyVestors also told us about organizations that were important to them. Some shared personal stories about how they came to work with and support those organizations. All were encouraged to take action whether by volunteering or making donations. By the end of the summer, over thirty organizations were showcased and served by MyVestors. A sample of the team’s activities include:
- Backpacks for underprivileged children were purchased and given out.
- Local food banks were supported with volunteer hours
- Staff shared stories of their work with organizations that address financial, social, and educational inequities.
All of this activity culminated with MyVestors voting on which of the organizations would receive financial donations from MyVest. The organizations receiving the most votes won the prizes:
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, a voluntary health organization that gives those affected by suicide a nationwide community empowered by research, education and advocacy to take action against this leading cause of death.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness which provides advocacy, education, support and public awareness so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives.
- UrbanEd Academy building equity in education through representative leadership in and around school, whose vision is for every student in San Francisco to have one Back male teacher before sixth grade.
Our goal was to make a positive impact on our communities and the world at large, and to spark a stronger sense of philanthropy and action-oriented outreach among MyVestors. We are so proud of what our team has accomplished and we look forward to continuing the momentum!